Understanding What a Class 3 Weapons License mean

When it comes to sending paperwork like licensing documents to the government, most people are usually stressed about how to do it the right way. The various unknowns related to these procedures can build up lots of anxiety for applicants. Listed below is a simple guide for class 3 weapons license to help you navigate the sea of online resources and help you learn how you can apply and get this important license.

What weapons are covered by the class 3 weapons license?

The class 3 weapons license covers a special group of Title II firearms. It is vital to get a class 3 license if you intend to own any of the following six different categories of weapons:

  • Machine gun
  • Short barreled rifle (SBR)
  • Short barreled shotgun (SBS)
  • Suppressor
  • Destructive devices
  • Any Other Weapon (AOW)

A common misconception is that the above class 3 weapons cannot be owned by civilians. However, you should realize that nearly all the states allow civilian ownership of these weapons. While a couple of states do restrict ownership of machine guns, others may restrict suppressors or short barreled shotguns. Ensure you check out your local state laws before starting the application for a class 3 weapons license.

How to get a class 3 weapons license

The first step on your way to getting a class 3 weapons license is first becoming a Federal Firearms Licensee or FFL. This will include filling in the ATF Form and sending it with the appropriate application fee that you can pay by credit card, money order or check. Once you make the application, you will have to wait for your information to be reviewed by the ATF before finally appearing for an interview that will determine whether or not you get the FFL license.

After getting the FFL license, you can now move forward to getting a class 3 weapons license. The next step is paying for a special occupation tax if you want to be able to deal with the above-mentioned class 3 weapons. You should know that you do not really need any license to own any NFA weapon, like a machine gun. Actually, the class 3 weapon license is more of a tax stamp that only costs $200 per weapon, but has a more stringent purchasing strategy.

In conclusion, the government cannot infringe on the people’s right to keep and bear arms. So the class 3 weapons license is not really a major hurdle, and you can easily overcome it with the tips shown above. All you need to remember is to pay the $200 tax, provided you already have an FFL license.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top